- •Preterms scored lower than term born infants on neurological assessments up to 1 year.
- •Late-preterms had similar neurodevelopmental scores to term born infants at 2 years.
- •Gender differences are only reported in preterms on Bayley scales.
Purchase one-time access:Academic and Personal
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Paediatric Neurology
- Neurocognitive outcome after very preterm birth.Arch Dis Child Fetal Neonatal. 2004; 89 (Review): F224-F228
- Neurodevelopmental outcomes after preterm birth.BMJ. 2004; 329: 1390-1393
- Prognostic value of the neurologic optimality score at 9 and 18 months in preterm infants born before 31 weeks' gestation.J Pediatr. 2002; 140: 57-60
- Neurological assessment in infants discharged from a neonatal intensive care unit.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2013; 17: 192-198
- Trends in neuromotor behavior of preterm and fullterm infants in the first year of life: a preliminary report.Dev Med Child Neurol. 1985; 27: 756-766
- Neuromotor development of preterm and full-term infants.Early Hum Dev. 1988; 18: 137-149
- PPREMO: a prospective cohort study of preterm infant brain structure and function to predict neurodevelopmental outcome.BMC Pediatr. 2015; 15: 123
- Clinical implications of diffuse excessive high signal intensity (DEHSI) on neonatal MRI in school age children born extremely preterm.PLoS One. 2016; 11: e0149578https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0149578
- Application of a scorable neurologic examination to near-term infants: longitudinal data.Neuropediatrics. 2007; 38: 233-238
- Neurodevelopmental outcome of the late preterm infant.Clin Perinatol. 2006; 33: 947-964
- Classification of abnormal neurological outcome.Early Hum Dev. 2006; 82: 167-171
- National Academy, Washington, DC2001 Institute of medicine committee on understanding the biology of sex and gender differences. Exploring the biological contributions to human health: does sex matter?
- Gender differences in the human cerebral cortex : more neurons in males, more processes in females.J Child Neurol. 1999; 14: 98-107
- Cerebral cortex: an MRI-based study of volume and variance with age and sex.J Clin Neurosci. 2006; 13: 60-72
- Gender differences in neurodevelopmental outcomes among extremely preterm, extremely-low-birthweight infants.Acta Paediatr. 2006; 95: 1239-1248
- Prognosis of the very low birthweight baby in relation to gender.Arch Dis Child. 1986; 61: 559-564
- Gender differences in cognitive abilities at 2 years in ELBW infants.Early Hum Dev. 2000; 60: 115-122
- Sex and the pathogenesis of cerebral palsy.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2007; 49 (Review): 74-78
- The association between sex-related interleukin-6 gene polymorphisms and the risk for cerebral palsy.J Neuroinflammation. 2014; 11: 100
- Neurology of the newborn.4th ed. 2001 (USA)
- Optimality score for the neurologic examination of the infant at 12 and 18 months of age.J Pediatr. 1999; 135: 153-161
- Application of a scorable neurologic examination in healthy term infants aged 3 to 8 months.J Pediatr. 2003; 143: 546
- Neurological development in infancy.Clin Dev Med. 1976; 58: 1-150
- Bayley scales of infant development.2nd ed. Psychological Corp, San Antonio, TX1993
- Validation of a parent report measure of cognitive development in preterm infants.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2004; 46: 389-397
- Neurological examination at 6 to 9 months in infants with cystic periventricular leukomalacia.Neuroped. 2006; 37: 247-252
- Early neurologic assessment in preterm-infants: integration of traditional neurologic examination and observation of general movements.Eur J Pediatr Neurol. 2008; 12: 183-189
- Prognostic value of a scorable neurological examination from 3 to 12 months post-term age in very preterm infants: a longitudinal study.Early Hum Dev. 2009; 85: 405-408
- Neurologic examination in infants with hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy at age 9 to 14 months: use of optimality scores and correlation with MRI findings.J Pediatr. 2001; 138: 332-337
- Use of the Hammersmith Infant Neurological Examination in infants with cerebral palsy: a critical review of the literature.Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016 Mar; 58: 240-245
- Neurological examination of preterm infants at term equivalent age.Early Hum Dev. 2008; 84: 751-761
- Neurologic examination of preterm infants at term age: comparison with term infants.J Pediatr. 2003; 142: 647-655
- Early experience alters brain function and structure.Pediatrics. 2004; 113: 846-857
- The near-term (late preterm) human brain and risk for periventricular leukomalacia: a review.Semin Perinatol. 2006; 30: 81-88
- Neurodevelopmental outcome at 12 and 18 months in late preterm infants.Eur J Paediatr Neurol. 2010; 14: 503-507
- Sex differences in outcome and associations with neonatal brain morphology in extremely preterm children.J Pediatr. 2014; 164: 1012-1018
- Cerebral palsies: epidemiology & causal pathways.Mac Keith Press, Cambridge2000
- Neurologic and developmental disability at six years of age after extremely preterm birth.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 9-19
- Sex differences in cerebral volumes of 8-year-olds born preterm.J Pediatr. 2004; 145: 242-249