- •The estimated incidence of dystonia following ABI admitted to the PICU was 3.2%.
- •The incidence was higher in the hypoxia/anoxia (8.3%) and TBI (6.2%) cohorts.
- •Dystonia emerged early (all within one month) and persisted at 6 months in the majority.
- •Patients who developed dystonia had median lower GCS and median longer PICU admission.
Abbreviations:ABI (Acquired brain injury), CK (Creatinine kinase), CNS (Central nervous system), GCS (Glasgow coma scale), IQR (Inter-quartile range), PICU (Paediatric intensive care unit), PSH (Paroxysmal Sympathetic Hyperactivity), TBI (Traumatic brain injury)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to European Journal of Paediatric Neurology
- Phenomenology and classification of dystonia: a consensus update.Mov. Disord. 2013; 28: 863-873
- Physical rehabilitation interventions in children with acquired brain injury: a scoping review.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2021;
- A systematic review of the rehabilitation of moderate to severe acquired brain injuries.Brain Inj. 2007; 21: 107-112
- A comprehensive model of care for rehabilitation of children with acquired brain injuries.Child Care Health Dev. 2010; 36: 31-43
- Toronto acquired brain injury network.
- Role of the physical and rehabilitation medicine specialist regarding of children and adolescents with acquired brain injury.Eur. J. Phys. Rehabil. Med. 2013; 49: 213-221
- Posttraumatic dystonia.J. Neurol. Sci. 2017; 379: 183-191
- Dystonia following head trauma: a report of nine patients and review of the literature.Mov. Disord. 1992; 7: 263-272
- Despite dystonia: natural history of delayed-onset pediatric secondary dystonia.Brain Inj. 2019; 33: 952-958
- Paroxysmal autonomic instability with dystonia after brain injury.Arch. Neurol. 2004; 61: 321-328
- Status dystonicus: a practice guide.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2014; 56: 105-112
- Status dystonicus: the syndrome and its management.Brain. 1998; 121: 243-252
- Dysautonomia after pediatric brain injury.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2012; 54: 759-764
- Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity: the storm after acute brain injury.Lancet Neurol. 2017; 16: 721-729
- Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity in moderate-to-severe traumatic brain injury and the role of beta-blockers: a scoping review.Emerg Med Int. 2021; (2021)5589239
- Identification and management of paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity after traumatic brain injury.Front. Neurol. 2020; 11: 81
- Paroxysmal sympathetic hyperactivity in pediatric rehabilitation: clinical factors and acute pharmacological management.J. Head Trauma Rehabil. 2015; 30: 357-363
- Dystonia in paediatric intensive care: a retrospective prevalence study.Arch. Dis. Child. 2020; 105 (England): 912-914
- Advances in management of movement disorders in children.Lancet Neurol. 2016; 15: 719-735
- Pharmacological and neurosurgical interventions for managing dystonia in cerebral palsy: a systematic review.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2018; 60: 356-366
- Safety and efficacy of high-dose enteral, intravenous, and transdermal clonidine for the acute management of severe intractable childhood dystonia and status dystonicus: an illustrative case-series.Eur. J. Paediatr. Neurol. 2017; 21: 823-832
- Pediatric dystonic storm.A Hospital-Based Study. 2021; 11: e645-e653
- Fifteen-minute consultation: approach to investigation and management of childhood dystonia.Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2021; 106: 71-77
- Early onset dystonia following traumatic brain injury.Arch. Phys. Med. Rehabil. 1994; 75: 885-888
- Proportion of life lived with dystonia inversely correlates with response to pallidal deep brain stimulation in both primary and secondary childhood dystonia.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 567-574
- Dystonia Severity Action Plan: a simple grading system for medical severity of status dystonicus and life-threatening dystonia.Dev. Med. Child Neurol. 2013; 55: 671-672
- Posttraumatic movement disorders: a clinical and imaging profile of 30 patients.Neurol. India. 2019; 67: 738-743
- It's not just the basal ganglia: cerebellum as a target for dystonia therapeutics.Mov. Disord. 2017; 32: 1537-1545
- Research design: qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches Research design: qualitative, quantitative and mixed methods approaches Creswell John W Sage 320 £29 0761924426 0761924426 [Formula: see text].Nurse Res. 2004; 12: 82-83